Update day: 29-01-2024
Position: Mid-Senior level
Job type: Full-time
Come work as a Career Advisor with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Reporting to the Director, Talent Development and Career Pathways, the Career Advisor is responsible for providing expert advice and developing corporate career mobility strategies and services to support Vancouver Coastal Health’s (VCH) employees. The Advisor maintains strong internal and external working relationships to foster continuous performance excellence, identifies career pathway needs, researches and advises on emerging trends, advises on best practices and plans and carries out talent development initiatives to meet critical staffing needs. Facilitates the end-to-end career pathway process by utilizing innovative, creative and professional career counselling methods, coordinating and developing material, and developing proposals for new and creative avenues for career mobility. Maintains effective working relationships with representatives from academic institutions, professional associations, recruitment agencies and other organizations and maintains an up-to-date directory of eligible candidates. This work is framed within VCH’s commitments to Indigenous cultural safety, anti-racism, and equity, diversity, and inclusion.
As a Career Advisor with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Develop and implement work integrated learning work placement programs to new and existing employees.
- In collaboration with the Director and Executive Director, establish the long term goals for the department and develops and initiate appropriate follow up activities; ensures that ongoing issues of concern are escalated.
- Lead, analyze, and evaluate programs to support a mandate of excellent client service through continuous process improvement.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of the organization’s talent development needs, as well as the province’s healthcare sector in order to anticipate and provide expert advice and consultation to VCH’s senior leadership, Directors and Managers.
- Maintain strong working relationships with managers across the organization to identify current and future career mobility needs.
- Source potential candidates from various academic institutions by creating and maintaining relationships and meeting directly with new graduates to promote VCH.
- Research and recommend talent development strategies and develop proposals for new and creative strategies.
- Evaluate cost-effectiveness of talent development strategies, and provides return-on-investment analysis. Makes recommendations for professional development strategies and provides analysis and recommendations for related financial allocations.
- Liaise with representatives from academic institutions, professional associations, recruitment agencies and other organizations to build positive relationships and maintain sources of qualified applicants.Maintains an up-to-date directory of eligible candidates.
- Establish relationships with internal partners and supports the program by liaising with external partners such as Ministry of Health, Provincial Health Care Unions, and other health authorities. As delegated by the Director, attends internal and external Committees, Leadership Development, and Clinical Operations working groups.
- Pre-screen candidates for appropriateness of career pathways. Supports employees in the development of resumes/CVs, interview skills, networking and other job search activities.
- Identify VCH’s talent development needs, researches and advises on emerging trends and best practices.
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements. Immediately reports unsafe situations by notifying supervisor or other appropriate personnel.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve, and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply online via the Internal Career Portal on CareerHub, you are currently viewing the External Career Portal. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for instructions on how to view internal job postings and how to apply as an employee. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Education & Experience
- Baccalaureate (Masters preferred) in a relevant health care profession supplemented with leadership and as well as seven (7) year’s recent, related experience, including direct career counselling experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current registration/membership with a recognized professional association preferred.
- A Certified Career Development Practitioner designation is an asset. Certification in StrengthsFinder or other human capital assessment tools is an asset.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Practices the recognition, inclusion and support of all types and aspects of diversity at all stages of engagement, with an understanding of the issues faced by people from equity-seeking groups, including those who experience intersectional barriers.
- Proven innovative, motivated and enthusiastic career counsellor and relationship builder with clients.
- Extensive knowledge of career learning theories, and trends and principles.
- Extensive experience using tools for career counselling methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, facilitate and consult effectively with a variety of audiences and stakeholder groups.
- Proven time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrates excellent communication (both written and verbal), facilitation and influencing skills.
- Advanced skill in current computer applications (word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database).
- Promotes VCH brand by providing effective and professional career counselling services to internal candidates.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 20-03-2024🌏 Kelowna, British Columbia
⏰ 07-04-2024🌏 Surrey, British Columbia
⏰ 16-03-2024🌏 Surrey, British Columbia
⏰ 23-03-2024🌏 Delta, British Columbia
⏰ 14-03-2024🌏 Saanich, British Columbia
⏰ 04-03-2024🌏 Vancouver, British Columbia
⏰ 08-03-2024🌏 Vancouver, British Columbia
⏰ 14-03-2024🌏 Delta, British Columbia
⏰ 22-03-2024🌏 Kelowna, British Columbia
⏰ 10-03-2024🌏 Langley, British Columbia